IDEXX Reference Laboratories
IDEXX microbiology services
- Technology that delivers more reliable and accurate microbial identification
- Current and clinically relevant antibiotic susceptibility panels
- Flexible offerings designed to meet the needs of your patients
Discover more with MALDI-TOF
Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight (MALDI-TOF or MALDI) mass spectrometry represents new technology for rapid microbial identifications of over 2,700 species of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria and fungi belonging to over 470 genera, resulting in more specific identification.
Current and clinically relevant antibiotic susceptibility panels
- Antibiotic susceptibility panels run at IDEXX Reference Laboratories are based on specimen type/site, species, and organism.
- Our team of scientists and specialists reviews and updates panels frequently to incorporate newer and more effective antibiotics guided by Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI) guidelines.
- IDEXX uses the VITEK 2 (bioMérieux) automated platform, delivering accurate results hours or days faster than manual methods.
Flexible offerings designed to meet the needs of your patients
- Site-specific cultures with specialized antimicrobial susceptibility panels for certain sites, such as ears and eyes, where topical therapies and tissue penetration by antibiotics must be considered.
- Specialized cultures for exotic species, such as avians/reptiles or rabbits/rodents, where antibiotic choices may differ.
- Reflex urine culture if indicated (based on evidence of infection on urinalysis), eliminating the need for additional charges to the pet owner and providing faster results.
Frequently used test codes
Aerobic culture (organism ID and susceptibility)
401—Aerobic and Anaerobic Cultures
Aerobic culture (organism ID and susceptibility), anaerobic culture (organism ID only)
3860—Aerobic Ear Culture
Aerobic culture (organism ID and ear-specific susceptibility)
3862—Aerobic Ear Culture—Two Sites
Includes separate cultures for two ear sites (left and right ears or inner and outer ears).
Identification only; susceptibility testing requires testing at an outside laboratory for an additional charge.
4035—Urine Culture and MIC Susceptibility
Aerobic urine culture (organism ID and susceptibility)
9430—Urine Culture and MIC Susceptiblity (if Indicated)
Add on to a urinalysis or a profile containing a urinalysis. If the urinalysis has a low specific gravity (≤1.015), has white blood cells (>5/hpf), and/or bacteria are seen, a urine culture will be automatically run at no additional charge.
3901—Urinalysis with Urine Culture and MIC Susceptibility (if Indicated)
Urinalysis with reflex urine culture if indicated. If the urinalysis has a low specific gravity (≤1.015), has white blood cells (>5/hpf), and/or bacteria are seen, a urine culture with MIC susceptibility will be automatically run at no additional charge.
Forms and other resources
Access IDEXX Reference Laboratories specimen guidelines, forms, articles, and more.
Directory of Tests and Services
Browse the online Directory of Tests and Services to see a comprehensive list of offerings from IDEXX Reference Laboratories.
Keeping your practice up-to-date and running smoothly is the IDEXXCare Plus promise. We’re at your service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to help you deliver the best veterinary care and customer experiences possible.
Learn more about a specific product or service.
A representative will help you every step of the way.
IDEXX Reference Laboratories