Box sizes and labels will vary.
IDEXX PEDV IgA Ab Test
Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea (PED)
The IDEXX PEDV IgA Antibody Test Kit is an enzyme linked immunoassay (ELISA) for the detection of IgA antibodies against porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDV) in serum and colostrum of swine.
* Availability / Distribution: China
- Serum and colostrum samples
- Detection of IgA antibodies
Part numbers and sizes
99-55550 (5 plates/strips)
About Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea (PED)
Porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDV) is a significant swine pathogen that causes watery diarrhea, vomiting and dehydration. PEDV was first described in Europe in the 1970’s and since then it has spread to other regions, including Asia and North America, where has been responsible for heavy economic losses to their swine industries1. Transmission of PEDV occurs mainly after direct or indirect contact with materials contaminated with infected feces (fecal-oral route). Pigs are susceptible to PEDV infection at all stages of production. However, the disease is most severe in young animals, with high mortality rates in neonatal piglets from acute and rapid dehydration.
Following the introduction of PEDV into a breeding herd, sows develop strong immunity and protect their offspring by transferring maternal antibodies in colostrum. Subsequently, PEDV can disappear from the herd or become endemic, persisting in consecutive litters. Together with strict biosecurity measures, strategies for the control of PED include vaccination and/or intentional exposure (feedback) of sows to stimulate immunity and improve the transfer of protective IgA antibodies to suckling piglets. Accurate detection of anti- PEDV IgA antibodies in swine serum and/or colostrum can assist in optimizing control strategies for PEDV.
All testing solutions
- Bertasio C, Giacomini E, Lazzaro M, Perulli S, Papetti A, Lavazza A, Lelli D, Alborali G, Boniotti MB. 2016. Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus Shedding and Antibody Response in Swine Farms: A Longitudinal Study. Front Microbiol. 7:2009. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2016.02009.
* Not all products are available and/or registered in every country.