IDEXX kidney health solutions
Kidney function is a vital window into your patient's overall health, but you can't manage what you can't see. Our suite of tests and technologies sheds light on your patient's kidney health, helping you intervene earlier and treat with greater confidence.
Diagnostics, technology, and support for deeper insights into every patient’s kidney health.
Holistic solutions for better visibility into your patient’s kidney health.
The tools you need to assess both kidney function and management of treatment—resulting in better outcomes throughout the life of your patients.
Deeper insights, earlier.
Whether in-house or at the reference lab, SDMA can keep you ahead of the curve when it comes to declining kidney function—detecting mild to moderate loss that creatinine misses.1–3
Including SDMA in your chemistry profile adds substantial value for both the sick and well patient in the early detection of primary renal diseases as well as the reflection of impact on renal health caused by concurrent diseases.
Stay ahead of phosphorous overload.
IDEXX FGF-23 Test
The IDEXX FGF-23 Test is an entirely new method to manage and monitor phosphorous overload in cats with chronic kidney disease (CKD) and is now included in the IRIS Treatment Recommendations for CKD in Cats.4
The IDEXX FGF-23 Test can enable confident treatment recommendations, such as diet changes, and it can offer early detection of metabolic bone disease in cats with IRIS CKD Stages 1 and 2.5,6
Round out your view.
A complete urinalysis and urine protein:creatinine (UPC) ratio contribute to a deeper view of the kidneys. Looking at a urine specific gravity provides needed context about kidney function and hydration when interpreting the kidney biomarkers. And, including a UPC ratio can aid in diagnosis and treatment of CKD. Urine testing can give you the full confidence in your patient’s kidney health status to move forward.
Tools and technologies
From patient-specific insights to individualized baselines, our ever-evolving suite of tools and technologies gives you everything you need to make a confident decision—right alongside your results (both in-house and reference lab).
Every patient is unique. So is their baseline.
A single test result, while important, is limited in value with nothing to compare it to. This makes routine monitoring of kidney health essential for patients whether they are sick, well, juvenile, or geriatric. With VetConnect PLUS, you can establish an individualized baseline for every patient, spot trends, and review patient history all in one place.
You can also access differential diagnoses in VetConnect PLUS to help interpret patient results, along with guidance from the latest industry protocols, research, and publications.
Faster at every stage.
VetConnect PLUS now offers IDEXX DecisionIQ for patients with chronic kidney disease. Get patient-specific insights consistent with the International Renal Interest Society (IRIS) CKD guidelines, along with next-step considerations, all within seconds.
Now you can stage CKD patients 8x faster on average.7 The IRIS CKD staging feature will quickly guide you through diagnosis, treatment, and monitoring of CKD in cats and dogs—so you can move forward with confidence.
We’re here for you every step of the way.
Never go it alone.
Our global network of support gives you easy access to a medical consult when you need a sounding board or have questions on next steps. You also have a dedicated team of local IDEXX professionals who are available to support your business, providing guidance and training to optimize your workflow or to help you implement new protocols.
Here’s a quick guide to the teams of people and resources available in person, on the phone, online, and on demand:
Veterinary Diagnostic Consultants
Frequent in-house visits and personalized support.
Professional Services Veterinarians
Personalized on-site medical consultations and education.
Field Support Representatives
Step-by-step guidance and training on-site to help optimize your workflow.
On the phone and online
Get direct live access and personalized guidance from board-certified specialists.
Get personal attention from a pathologist who will be dedicated to your case from beginning to end and be available via direct phone line or email.
Dedicated to answering all your questions on laboratory services, test requests, results status, and more.
Hundreds of free courses are available at the IDEXX Learning Center so you can learn on your own schedule on any device. Learn the importance of SDMA, how to stage CKD, and access quick, clear videos on how to run the SDMA test. You can even attain CE credit.
- Hall JA, Yerramilli M, Obare E, Yerramilli M, Jewell DE. Comparison of serum concentrations of symmetric dimethylarginine and creatinine as kidney function biomarkers in cats with chronic kidney disease. J Vet Intern Med. 2014;28(6):1676–1683. doi:10.1111/jvim.12445
- Nabity MB, Lees GE, Boggess MM, et al. Symmetric dimethylarginine assay validation, stability, and evaluation as a marker for early detection of chronic kidney disease in dogs. J Vet Intern Med. 2015;29(4):1036–1044. doi:10.1111/jvim.12835
- Hall JA, Yerramilli M, Obare E, Yerramilli M, Almes K, Jewell DE. Serum concentrations of symmetric dimethylarginine and creatinine in dogs with naturally occurring chronic kidney disease. J Vet Intern Med. 2016;30(3):794–802. doi:10.1111/jvim.13942
- International Renal Interest Society. Announcement of changes to IRIS guidelines. Accessed February 8, 2023. www.iris-kidney.com/guidelines/guidelines_updates_2023.html
- Geddes RF, Elliott J, Syme HM. The effect of feeding a renal diet on plasma fibroblast growth factor 23 concentrations in cats with stable azotemic chronic kidney disease. J Vet Intern Med. 2013;27(6):1354–1361. doi:10.1111/jvim.12187
- Geddes RF, Biourge V, Chang Y, Syme HM, Elliott J. The effect of moderate dietary protein and phosphate restriction on calcium-phosphate homeostasis in healthy older cats. J Vet Intern Med. 2016;30(5):1690–1702. doi:10.1111/jvim.14563
- Data on file at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Westbrook, Maine USA. Individual results will vary based upon each patient’s case complexity and practitioner’s IRIS CKD staging experience. www.idexx.com/en/veterinary/reference-laboratories/sdma/sdma-iris/#vetconnectplus