Customers: The inspiration for innovation
“Successful innovation starts with a deep understanding of our customers’ day-to-day experience,” said Jon Ayers, IDEXX CEO. “By working closely with veterinarians and their teams, we’re able to focus on the most relevant new products and services. And, by supporting veterinarians’ desire to provide the best care and service to pets and the people who love them, we also fulfill our company’s purpose—to enhance the health and well-being of pets.”
We’re pleased to offer several new products developed in 2015, including:
- The IDEXX SDMA test—Introduced in July by IDEXX Reference Laboratories, the IDEXX SDMA test (offered at no additional charge) has already changed the way veterinarians diagnose and treat kidney disease. Kidney disease is to pets as heart disease is to humans: a major health concern. The IDEXX SDMA test can detect kidney disease months to years earlier than other methods, when there is still time to do something about it. Moreover, in some cases, the IDEXX SDMA test can detect kidney disease when much of a pet’s kidney function is still intact. This gives pet owners and their veterinarians the chance to take action and give pets the best shot for healthy, happy, long lives, even with kidney disease.
- The SNAP Lepto Test—The profession asked for a quick test for leptospirosis and we responded with this pet-side assay. Results are available in minutes, during the patient visit, allowing veterinarians to quickly treat this growing threat. Timeliness in treatment is important, as leptospirosis is potentially deadly to dogs and has been known to transfer to humans who come in contact with infected animals.
- Fecal antigen testing—Now you can detect twice as many infections—and detect them up to 30 days earlier—from the 3 most common intestinal parasites: hookworm, roundworm, and whipworm.5 These parasites can be difficult to detect with traditionally available diagnostics. To improve upon these methods, we added two new fecal antigen tests for hookworm and roundworm to IDEXX Reference Laboratories offerings at no additional charge. By finding parasites in their prepatent stages, these tests are more reliable than fecal ova and parasites testing alone for more effective containment and quicker treatment.5
- IDEXX Web PACS (Picture Archiving and Communications System)—Veterinary practices can now optimize their diagnostic imaging by accessing information on the web. Advanced measurement, work-flow, collaboration, and storage features and tools let practices bring their image review and sharing to the next level. And it’s all conveniently accessible from any web-enabled device.
A strong start for 2016: Presenting the SediVue Dx Urine Sediment Analyzer—the new standard for urine sediment analysis:
- H3N2 Canine Influenza RealPCR Test—In response to the H3N2 outbreak in Chicago early in 2015, IDEXX scientists rapidly developed and validated this RealPCR test and added it to IDEXX canine respiratory disease RealPCR panels at no additional charge. This test allows rapid, reliable, and specific testing for the H3N2 virus, helping veterinarians in areas faced with outbreaks to contain this highly contagious disease.
- SediVue Dx Urine Sediment Analyzer: In approximately 3 minutes† from only 4–5 drops of urine, our newest analyzer employs three cutting-edge technologies to identify, classify, and image critically relevant particles for urine sediment analysis. The analyzer produces high-resolution digital images of cells, bacteria, casts, and crystals that can be viewed anytime, anyplace, with the IDEXX VetConnect PLUS mobile app for iPhone and Android devices.
Innovating into the future
Veterinary diagnostics continues to be an exciting, growing field, with pet owners around the world seeking the best care for their furry, scaly, and winged family members.
“We’re proud to support veterinarians in their daily mission to provide the highest level of care and service to the animals who visit their clinics and the pet owners who make it possible,” said Ayers. “And we’re committed every day to our principles of leadership, innovation, and entrepreneurship that have become IDEXX trademarks. Together with our customers, we look forward to the years to come and our continued partnership in the evolution of veterinary medicine.”