Animal Health Updates
In this issue:
- Product News—IDEXX RealPCR reagents detect and differentiate swine enteric coronaviruses
- Tech Tip—Best laboratory practices: things to keep in mind
- Visit Us—Events around the world
- Learn More:
New IDEXX RealPCR™ reagents detect and differentiate swine enteric coronaviruses
IDEXX is helping combat swine enteric coronaviruses with a comprehensive set of RealPCR™ reagents, all of which run on the IDEXX RealPCR™ Modular System. These highly contagious diseases are decimating neonatal pig populations across North and South America as well as Asia. In the U.S. alone, porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDV) has caused losses of more than 8 million pigs.
“The response to enteric coronaviruses has to be immediate because they spread fast and are too often deadly,” explains Olivier te Boekhorst, corporate vice president and general manager, IDEXX Livestock, Poultry and Dairy. “This system gives swine veterinarians and their producers accurate, timely information to implement containment strategies and protect their herds.”
Best laboratory practices: things to keep in mind
- Oral fluids are a new sample type for many laboratories. Once samples are received by the laboratory, oral fluids can be allowed to settle to remove debris. Mild centrifugation (1,000–10,000 x g for 5 minutes) can be used; however, if molecular diagnostics are being requested, an aliquot should be removed before processing to ensure that the sensitivity of real-time PCR assays will not be affected. Use the liquid from the top of the vessel for enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) testing.
- Small-volume testing can produce a strain on some reagents. In these situations it is recommended to portion out plate strips into other sealed bags with a desiccant or aliquot the conjugate into small vessels for use. Keep the unused vessels in the refrigerator and take out only what is needed for each day’s testing. Be sure to label all bags and vials with the reagent part and batch numbers as well as what test kit and batch these bags and vials go with.
- Expiration dates are located on the outer label of the test kit box. IDEXX stands behind the results generated until the test kit expiration date is reached. Use of the test after the expiration date is not advised, even if the individual components making up the test kit may not yet have expired. Due to government regulations and for quality control purposes, we must abide by the expiration date on the test kit box.
Events Around the World
Orlando, FL—February 28–March 3
46th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Swine Veterinarians
Western Dairy Management Conference
50th National Dairy Herd Information Association Annual Meeting
Midwest Poultry Federation Convention
2015 Professional Dairy Producers of Wisconsin (PDPW) Business Conference
IDEXX adds three species to its ruminant pregnancy testing portfolio
- For veterinary practices—can be run without ELISA instrumentation and read visually
- Cattle serum/EDTA plasma samples—confirm pregnancy at 28 days postbreeding and 60 days postcalving
- Laboratory-based solution
- Cattle milk samples—confirm pregnancy at 28 days postbreeding and 60 days postcalving
- NEW Goat milk samples—confirm pregnancy at 28 days postbreeding
- Laboratory-based solution
- Cattle serum/EDTA plasma samples—confirm pregnancy at 28 days postbreeding, 60 days postcalving
- NEW Goat serum samples—confirm pregnancy at 28 days postbreeding
- NEW Sheep serum samples—confirm pregnancy at day 35 postbreeding
- NEW Buffalo EDTA plasma samples—confirm pregnancy at 30 days postbreeding, 60 days postcalving
IDEXX presents at the AVID conference hosted by the German Veterinary Medical Society
Save time by ordering IDEXX tests online
It’s easy to order IDEXX Livestock, Poultry and Dairy products online, 24/7 in Western Europe, Scandinavia, Canada and the United States. It's fast, convenient and secure, with ordering options that can improve your work flow and efficiency. See the complete list of participating countries below.*
- Upload orders and purchase IDEXX Livestock, Poultry and Dairy products online
- Create templates for your most frequently ordered items
- Establish standing orders that trigger regular deliveries based on your schedule
- Request quotes for future orders and convert the quotes into orders
- View your order history
- Track your deliveries
- View and download invoices
Contact your local IDEXX customer support representative to get started today.
All ®/TM marks are owned by IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. or its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries.