The Equine Herpesvirus Type 1 (EHV-1) RealPCR™ Test helps you confidently:
- Diagnose horses exhibiting clinical signs consistent with EHV-1 disease
- Diagnose horses exposed to confirmed EHV-1 cases
- Isolate infected or exposed horses from other susceptible horses in a timely manner
- Identify EHV-1 strains containing a mutation that is highly associated with neurologic clinical signs
Equine Herpesvirus Type 4
Equine herpesvirus type 4 (EHV-4; equine rhinopneumonitis virus) is a health risk to equine populations worldwide. Disease severity depends on multiple factors and may be latent in normal horses. And because clinical signs are similar to other respiratory diseases, it is difficult to make a definitive diagnosis from clinical presentation alone.
The Equine Herpesvirus Type 4 (EHV-4) RealPCR™ Test identifies:
- EHV-4 in horses presenting with respiratory clinical signs
- Horses that have been exposed to confirmed EHV-4 cases
PCR methods help distinguish between EHV-4, EHV-1 and EHV-1 neuropathogenic strains
Horses presenting with respiratory disease may have a dual infection with both EHV-1 and EHV-4. With the EHV-4 and EHV-1 RealPCR™ Tests, an equine practitioner can quickly distinguish between EHV-4, EHV-1, and the EHV-1 neuropathogenic mutant strain, to manage disease and prevent the spread of the virus to other horses.
2 mL EDTA whole blood and/or deep nasopharyngeal swabs (one from each nostril). Please submit dry, plastic-stemmed swabs, without transport media, in an RTT or an empty, sterile tube; keep refrigerated.
Note: Nasal swabs are used to detect animals shedding the virus or that were recently exposed to a confirmed case. A whole blood specimen is recommended from symptomatic animals to detect viremia.
1–3 working days
IDEXX RealPCR™ Tests—Definite answers through accurate, fast real-time PCR
With IDEXX RealPCR tests, you can count on:
- The latest innovation in PCR technology, with the virtual elimination of false positives.
- Fast answers, so you can work through your list of differential diagnoses faster.